+41 62 775 9902
- February 24th, 1969, Switzerland
- Matura Type C (Maths & natural sciences) Kantonsschule in Olten
- in Electrical Engineering at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. Subjects include: Parallel Computer Architecture, VLSI Chip design, Computer Networks, Database Design, Social Communication, Technical Computer Science. As well as lectures in Mathematics, Physics and Electronics. (Autumn 1989 - Spring 1994)
- Additional studies
- in Didactics and Pedagogics at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. (Qualifies for teaching at college)
- Several Management Seminars
- on topics like Project Management, Conflict Resolution, Group Leading. Conducted by OETIKER+PARTNER AG.
- Training in Talent and Organizational Development (Personal- und Organisationsentwicklung)
- a two year training run by Brennig+Partner AG. (Summer 2004 to Summer 2006)
- German, English, French and Italian all spoken and written.
Learned at school and improved in England, France and Italy
- Educational Work Experience, Autumn 1989 - Spring 1994:
- Several industrial software-projects
- on databases and simulation during my studies. Using dBase, Paradox, Turbo C, Turbo Pascal. At Emhart Glass Zurich and Invertomatic SA Locarno
- Chip Design
- on Compass Tools by VLSI Technologies Inc. as a semester project.
- Teaching computer skills
- on Windows, DOS, UNIX and MAC.
- of brochures, newsletters, books and posters using Corel Draw, Ventura Publisher, TeX, Framework.
- Basic mechanical skills
- acquired in a mechanical workshop at ASCOM Solothurn.
- Training of simulated neural networks
- for photo finishing applications as a term project and as a research assistant
- Hardware Development:
- My final year project (16 Weeks full time) consisted of developing a hard- and software solution for the real time control of an DC-AC converter based on a MC96002 DSP.
- Employment, since December 1986:
- December 86 - present
- IT-Specialist with OETIKER+PARTNER AG. Since September 2006 I am working full time on remote system managment, network monitoring, software development, website design, and other multi-skill projects.
- August 1995 - August 2006
- Senior System Manager at the Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich. I was also responsible for the R&D activities of our group. We ran Unix and Windows environments for various clients inside and outside the University. My main focus in system management R&D is automation.
- June 99 to October 99
- Job Swap
For 3 months in summer 1999 I was working for CAIDA www.caida.org in San Diego, USA. While a guy from there was working in my place at the ETH in Zurich.
- October 94 - July 95
- System Administrator Trainee at De Montfort University Leicester.
Work included: Sendmail configuration, Perl coding, LaTeX user support, HTML authoring, Web Server maintenance, News Administration with INN, Setup and maintenance of SunOS, Solaris and Linux systems.
- April 94 - July 94
- Research Assistant at the Electronics Laboratory of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. Photo finishing with neural networks and various small Unix system administration jobs.
- August 94 - September 94
- Personal authoring project: Writing an Introduction to LaTeX2e.
- Computer Applications
- MRTG - Multi Router Traffic Grapher A tool to create traffic statistics from SNMP capable routers. The statistics can then be viewed from any WWW browser. The software is available from http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/. A paper about MRTG has been presented at LISA'98.
- RRDTOOL - Round Robin Database Manager A successor to MRTG. Much faster and much more flexible. Read all about it on http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool.
- SmokePing - Delux Network Latency Meter Tracks the latency in your network, sends alarms when things go bad and provides a nice web gui. on http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping.
- SEPP - Software Installation and Sharing System A flexible software sharing system using wrapper scripts. The system is designed to allow cooperation between different sites without central management. A paper about SEPP has been presented at LISA'98.
- TemplateTree II configuration management and distribution system for Unix. A paper on this was presented at LISA'01.
- Many more things can be found on my Homepage! http://tobi.oetiker.ch
- The not so Short Introduction to LaTeX2e is available from ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/lshort It is a introduction to the LaTeX language, which is widely used in scientific publishing.
- Websites, posters, t-shirts for concerts and sporting events.
- Leisure time activities
- in a small Choir
- of an annual fun-run in Olten.
- of several free software products.
- Keeping up to date
- with the latest developments in the Internet and beyond.
- computer illiterate friends.